Saturday, April 19, 2008

Slowly But Surely

I've finally got the body done and cut a couple of the steeks so I could try it on. I did a three needle bind off at the shoulders. That was my first time, I really like the method. Although I did one half with a ridge, and then tore it out and did the opposite. I've got a few things to deal with, like on button hole that is a stitch off from the others.

I'm fairly happy. It's the right short length, but I'm not sure about the shoulders. It's just so bulky to be a drop-shoulder (it's turned under in this photo). I'm trying figure out if I can cut a bit out of the sleeve holes and make the sleeves correspondingly larger at the top to fit. Right now the upper sleeve circumference is about 19", so another inch would be good.

I did my measurements on a thin cotton Norwegian sweater of mine. I didn't take into account the very different drape this one would have, so I'm having to change some things.

Meanwhile, I started on the first sleeve, which I will hold on until I decide about the upper sleeve.

Taking stock, I have so much left to do. Make the sleeves; bind all the opening edges with fabric on the inside and trim on the outside; reinforce the buttonholes after the fabric goes on the back; cut open and put trim on cuffs; put on buttons; sew on the sleeves.


Lorraine said...

Keep on knitting. It looks good so far.

Tracy said...

Very, very nice. Looks like it's a good fit. These sweaters sure are a lot of work, but I think you will be happy with the results. It sure looks good on you.